Sunday, January 4, 2015

Introducing: Katie Kapp

Hello friends and family!

As of today, there's only 55 days until we leave - pretty exciting! Today we're introducing Katie Kapp, a sophomore chemistry major. Katie is also one of the bloggers for ABST Guatemala!


















Q: Why Guatemala?
A: Last year, I went on the ABST to Merida, Mexico. I thought it would be interesting to go to Guatemala this year and see how the two cultures compare and contrast, since both are influenced by Spanish and Mayan traditions.

Q: What is something you’d like to learn about Guatemala before going?
A: I just finished reading I, Rigoberta MenchĂș: An Indian Woman in Guatemala, the autobiography of Nobel Peace Prize Winner Rigoberta Menchu. That helped me get an overview of some indigenous Mayan traditions, what caused the Guatemalan Civil War, and the Civil War in the 1960s and 1970s. From there, I’d like to learn more about Guatemala’s current economy and political system, as well as the present-day lifestyle of Guatemala’s Mayan Indians.

Q: Words to live by?
A: "Don't forget to smile every once in a while."

Q: What would you do with 10 more hours in the day?
A: I'd like to read, write, and exercise more, but in reality, I'd probably sleep.

Q: If you were stranded on a deserted island with only one thing, what would you want it to be?
A: A friend to keep me company

Q: What is something interesting about yourself?
A: I taught myself how to cross-stitch this past summer.

Q: What is something unique you can bring to the group?
A: My enthusiasm and dedication - I put my whole heart into everything I do.

Q: What is your dream job?
A: Nothing specific, but something that combines serving others and chemistry

Q: What inspires you?
A: Christianity, music, and my family

No comments:

Post a Comment