Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Monday, March 3, 2014 @ 11:12 PM

I got accepted to go on this alternative break service trip to Guatemala for many reasons and I applied to go for many more. Regardless of what those reasons are, I can't seem to shake the reactions I got from both family and friends alike when I told them what I was doing for my spring break. I heard from multiple loved ones, "Do you not realize you can serve the community that you live in? Why would you spend money to go to a foreign country when you can do service right here?" What my fellow citizens fail to understand is just how impoverished places like San Lucas Toliman, Guatemala are. There aren't wealthy native people that can help the less fortunate natives like we see in the United States. They truly need outside help from groups like ours to help empower them to eventually be self-sustained. 

After having one day of work under my *metaphorical* belt (because I forgot to pack my real one), it became more clear what my purpose is here: To learn as much as possible from the nationals, doing what they do, living as they live, and trying to see things from their perspective. My purpose doesn't end Saturday when I fly home though. I need to spread awareness of everything that I encounter during my time here. And despite the fact that I still can't communicate in Spanish, the awareness spreading back home is the trickiest part of it all.

Of course everyone in the United States realizes there is poverty in the world. We see infomercials daily about the malnourished children of Africa, Asia, and South America. But what we don't see is just how extreme the poverty and malnourishment are. I thought I knew, but I now know that I DEFINITELY did not. Sharing my experience via pictures and stories won't do it justice for the vast majority of people. Especially if I was one of those people that had to see it to believe it. Because that honestly is when it really hit me.

I'm still trying to come up with how I can so powerfully relay just how necessary it is for everyone to walk in solidarity as I currently am and will continue to do. It is only Monday and I already want to greatly encourage everyone I know to go on a service based trip instead of a tourism based trip. I acknowledge the fact that it isn't exactly realistic for working parents with children to just fly out to a third world country to learn about and then spread awareness of, but it is possible for all of you reading this blog to donate something.

Missions like the one here in San Lucas don't hand out free food or free clothing to the natives. They show the men how to build strong houses and safe ovens. They teach the women to make clothing and cook. Everyone can learn to work on the coffee plantation to make a living for themselves. The mission started a school for children to get the education they need to be mature, intelligent, and hopefully one day thriving individuals. So I encourage you all to go to the San Lucas website and buy a pound of coffee. It's fair tade and nothing short of incredible. Find an empowering mission like the one I'm staying at and find out what you can do to help at home if you cannot travel there to build self-sustainability. 

As I mentioned in an earlier post, spread the word about our blog! A little difference is still a difference.
-Heather Monroe :)

No comments:

Post a Comment