Saturday, March 8, 2014

Jerry's Post

I can't believe I am on the flight back to the United States. This trip has helped me not only understand myself but also people I serve. This trip has taught me that just saying yes impacts more people than I could ever imagine. My life has been full of moments where yes was important for me but I could have never imagined that saying yes to serve Gods people on Guatemala would be so impactful. The example of Fathers  Greg and  Michael helps me to know how to serve Gods people. God willing when I am ordained a priest I hope I can have the same sense for the poor in need and in spirit. 

Looking back on the past week I can say without a doubt I could not have done anything without the other nine members of our group. This group is amazing I truly believe that this group can change the world. I hope that some of us can return to San Lucas and help the people as professionals. 

The day that had the most impact on me and my vocation was Ash Wednesday. The pastor of the parish of St. Luke asked Father  Michael to go to a smaller parish St. Andrews and have the Ash Wednesday mass. I  felt it would be a good idea to tag along . I never thought that I would distribute ashes and Holy Communion  to the Guatemalan people. This trip was truly amazing. The fun did not end there because Father Michael had the late mass at St. Luke's . I had the same opportunity however, this was a like different because there was more people attending this mass. As an extraordinary minister of Holy Communion  I went from the front of the church all the way  back to the front stairs of the church building. Looking out there was so many people wanting to receive Christ. I was the one person that could give them just that. I was truly humbling to think that no matter what these people were going through I could give them Christ to help them through that burden. This action of giving Christ to others sets my heart on fire to continue to serve God's people.  

The other members  in the group have different ways of giving Christ to these people. Patrice and Heather have a motherly love for the children we encountered. Char,Raven, and Rachel have a sense that as medical professionals they could help in the clinic. Beth has a passion for education that I know will be put to good use whether in the US or in a foreign country. Becky has a passion for not only educating students about history, but also educating students about other cultures so that we can truly be global citizens. Katelyn  has a passion for Spanish culture that will serve her well in the future. Her knowledge of the Spanish language will continue to grow and I know she will help others in Chile or wherever the Lord is calling her to serve the people as a physicians assistant. Last but certainly not least Father Michael has a deep love for all of God's people. His priestly service not only helped Fr. Benjamin at the parish but it showed the seminarian at the parish and myself what it truly means to be a priest of Christ. His willingness to hear confessions,preach and say mass was truly inspiring. I hope Fr. Michael continue to go to the mission to share his priestly love with he Guatemalan people.

 My prayer is that this group will always keep this fire in their hearts. I pray that they share this fire with others wherever they go in life so that others may be set on fire with the love of Christ. God bless!

Jerry







 



    



 







Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment