Thursday, March 6, 2014

Guatemala in Warp Speed

It has finally hit me that we are at the end of Thursday - our 6th, and one of our last, day in Guatemala. In this amount of time I have managed to see 3 cities, ride a boat, learn about the culture, build a stove, quality check coffee, tour, play in dirt, learn how to have fun again, reforest, throw some cement water at others, shop with Chona, take a live in class, climb up a mountain, and name a spider Marco. Yes, to all of you at home, I know you can't believe the last one...but what I can't believe is that we did it! We came thousands of miles to service others, but I personally know that they have serviced me. 

As I said it before, every one of the people I have met has managed to be influential in suc a short period of time. However, I want to tell you all a little bit more about Chona - as I am personally inspired by her perserverence. Chona was extremely young when the civil war broke out. In such a short amount of time she managed to lose her husband and has yet to know what happened to him; although it is assumed he was killed. She was left alone to raise 3 children and had to move on a nightly basis. I can honestly say that I do not know how I would react had it been myself in her shoes. But she chose to react with bravery. She chose to pick up 11 children from a neighboring village knowing the police would stop her. She chose to help raise notice for the mission alongside Father Greg. And she chose to adopt another child knowing she had 3 of her own. She chose to live a life under God. But not only this, she chose to tell us her story. It is because of her story that I realize we do not have to crumble in times of difficulty. Our choices make us everything that we are; for the better or for the worse. If we can consciously remember how much our personal choices matter, we may be able to see the way in which we can impact others. 

So, thank you, Chona. Thank you for being here to make sure we have breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Thank you for being so open and for trying to touch every heart that you meet. I truly appreciate and am humbled by you. I will wear my skirt with pride and think of you.

Like so many of the people I have met throughout this week, the people I have bonded with in my group...I will miss you Guatemala!

Raven


No comments:

Post a Comment