Thursday, March 6, 2014

"We live in a beautiful world" -Coldplay

Most everyone who knows me is aware of the profound impact that living in Chile last summer has had on my life. I fell in love with the culture, the language, and the people. This passion, curiosity, and admiration that I have for Chilean culture is what inspired me to apply to co-lead this service trip to Guatemala. Although I researched Guatemalan culture before I arrived, I truly did not know the culture until I was able to experience it. Subconsciously, I think I was expecting it to be similar to Chilean culture because when I think about Latin America, I cannot help but recall my experience in Chile. But in truth, I could not have been more mistaken. I quickly learned that even though both are Spanish-speaking Latin American countries, the cultures and people are extremely different. Neither is superior to the other; both are profoundly beautiful and complex in their own ways, and I believe the same idea applies to all cultures.

The most obvious difference between life in Valparaiso, Chile and San Lucas, Guatemala is the modernization versus the extreme poverty. When I was in Chile, it almost felt like the United States at times because of the technology (metro, computers, smart phones, etc). It was definitely a simpler lifestyle than in the U.S. but there was still access to those luxuries. In Guatemala, many of the people live in extreme poverty. Our group had the pleasure of building a stove in a family's home, and it was literally an open shelter with a dirt floor. I have seen poverty in Chile, but I have never been immersed in such extreme poverty like we experienced this week. It was honestly shocking to witness this reality firsthand. Truly, it is almost impossible to understand unless you experience it. 

The Guatemalans are the strongest and most humble population of people I have ever known, in both mind and body. The women wake up at 4 AM every day to start making tortillas and to prepare other food. They do laundry for hours, balance and walk with very heavy buckets of water on their heads, weave clothing, and take care of the children while the men carry 150 lbs of wood on their backs and work for hours and hours every day for very little ($3/day). In the U.S., people complain about having to get up at 7 AM for work or school and making minimum wage. Truly, we are blessed.

Even though Guatemalans have experienced such hardship through the Guatemalan Civil War, oppression, witnessing the disappearance and murder of loved ones, and living in poverty every day, they are very much content with their lifestyle and are intimately connected with each other through their incredible faith in God. It is very evident that it is this faith and community with one another that gives them such an unshakable inner peace. It was such a blessing to be able to share in their lifestyle, learn about their culture and, in particular, to be able to use my Spanish to communicate with them. I feel that I was able to gain a better understanding of the culture and the people because I put so much dedication and persistence into my Spanish skills. Most of the Guatemalans I talked to were really impressed/touched that I have such a fervor and inclination for their language. It makes me really excited to keep learning and improving it for the future so that I may continue to connect with Hispanohablantes.

I have had so many meaningful and moving interactions with the Guatemalan people but I would like to share one in particular. We were at Ash Wednesday mass at 7 PM after a hard day of service, and I was sitting next to a woman and her ten year old daughter. They both smiled very warmly at me, and I initiated a conversation with them during the few minutes before mass started. Their words and mannerisms permeated with a gentle curiosity and tenderness. The little girl sat very close to me as if I were a family member she had known all her life. I was amazed by how quickly and easily she decided she could trust me. When mass ended, the little girl gave me a long hug, referred to me as "amiga," and sadly expressed that she was going to miss me. For me, this moment was really powerful because I could really feel God's presence, and it demonstrated the intimate connectedness that all humans are meant to share regardless of differences in culture, language, lifestyle, or beliefs.

This week in Guatemala was more beautiful and more fruitful than I ever expected or imagined. When I was in Chile, I discovered that my vocation is to work with Hispanic populations as a medical healthcare provider in the U.S. and/or abroad. The service I have done and the interactions I have had with the people here have reaffirmed my love for people, cultures, service, and the Spanish language, and I truly believe that I am headed in the right direction. Although I feel a sense of sadness upon leaving Guatemala, I feel empowered to finish school, graduate, and use my passions and gifts to make the world just a little bit better. As Jean Vanier, founder of L'Arche, one said, "We are not called by God to do extraordinary things, but to do ordinary things with great love." Now those are words to live by. Gracias por todo, Guatemala. Hasta la proxima vez. 

Paz y amor, 
Katelyn


No comments:

Post a Comment