Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Introducing: Ashley Lawson

Hello friends and family!

We hope the holiday season has been a time of joy and love for you thus far and will continue to be so. From all of us on the ABST Guatemala team, we wish you a very Merry Christmas!

Today, on Christmas Eve, we're introducing Ashley Lawson, one of the faculty members accompanying the students to Guatemala. Ashley is the new secretary for the Honors Program.

 











Q: Why Guatemala?
A: I chose Guatemala because of the diversity of service projects involved in the trip. I feel like being exposed to all the different elements that make up the San Lucas Mission will help us to have a better understanding of the people we are serving. I’m most excited about their Fair Trade coffee! Added bonus – I’ve never been to Central America.

Q: What is something you’d like to learn about Guatemala before going?
A: I love to learn about the day-to-day lives of people in the countries I visit, I really enjoy getting out of the tourist element and deeper into the culture.

Q: Words to live by?
A: “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” ~St. Augustine

Q: What would you do with 10 more hours in the day?
A: Become fluent in another language, eat healthier and stop making excuses for not getting enough exercise and sleep, learn new things and travel more!

Q: If you were stranded on deserted island with only one thing, what would you want it to be?
A: A satellite phone with a full battery!

Q: What is something interesting about yourself?
A: After I graduated from college I spent a year teaching English at a university in Beijing, China.

Q: What is something unique you can bring to the group?
A: My experience traveling both as a student and as an adult – I’ve been to 11 countries, traveled solo and as part of a group. I see travel as the best way to learn!

Q: What is your dream job?
A: Travel Channel Host or National Geographic Photographer

Q: What inspires you?
A: People that take risks to follow their dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment