Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Meet The Team! (Team Katie and Delaney)




Hello Everyone! This is Team Katie and Delaney on ABST Guatemala 2018.  Welcome to the Blog!  We will be posting updates as we go through this experience. Here are the members of this team:

Katie Kiss (Co-Leader)
Major: Occupational Therapy 
Academic year: Junior
Hometown: Cleveland, OH

Favorite quote/ Quote that you want to live by:  I have a dry erase board in my room which I change the quote on regularly. It's usually something that helps motivate me to get through the week. It's hard for me to pick a favorite quote, but I think this one relates well to my approach to our ABST.  

"If you don't know the guy on the other side of the world, love him anyway because he's just like you. He has the same dreams, the same hopes and fears. It's one world, pal. We're all neighbors." -Frank Sinatra 

Why you are excited about going to Guatemala?
After being on the trip last year I never thought I would have the chance to go back. Learning about and volunteering on the different projects which the Mission of San Lucas started in Guatemala was a rewarding and eye opening experiencing. I'm excited to return as a student leader, and introduce this group to the people and culture of Guatemala.


Delaney McMeekin (Co-Leader)
Major: Early Childhood and Special Education
Academic Year: Sophomore
Hometown: Brockway, PA

 Favorite Quote/Quote you live by:
"Not all who wander are lost"-J.R.R. Tolkien
I have maps, and Travel and adventure "quotes" covering the walls of my room.  I believe I wander but I am not lost, just looking for new and different paths of life.

What are you excited to go to Guatemala?
I am so pumped to travel to Guatemala on this ABST and share this amazing experience with these amazing people.  I enjoy ABSTs because of the community you build with the people that you travel with and meet when traveling.  I am ready to see and take part in the culture of Guatemala during this service emersion experience. The time share towards any goal is what makes the goal worth doing.  I am always excited to learn, grow, and most importantly wander.

Angelika Chiang
Major: Biology and Pre-Medicine Major 
Academic year: Freshman
Hometown: Novi, Michigan 

Favorite quote/ Quote that you want to live by: "No matter how difficult and hard something is, I will always be positive and smile like an idiot" - Park Chanyeol. Or "You Never Walk Alone" - BTS. 





Why you are excited about going to Guatemala? I am excited to experience a new culture and learn something new about myself and the world around me. I'm also excited to be able to work along with the people in San Lucas to help their community for the better. 



Yoss Eisenbaum
Major: Nursing
Academic Year: Freshman
Hometown: Buffalo, NY

Favorite quote/Quote you live by: "You could have it worse"


Why are you excited about going to Guatemala?
I'm excited to go back to Guatemala because I haven't been back since I was adopted




Maureen Kirkpatrick
Major: Physician Assistant
Academic Year: Freshman
Hometown: Monroeville, PA

Quote: Fake it till you make it!

Why are you excited to go to Guatemala?
I'm excited to go to Guatemala to learn about their culture and to get another perspective on life.


Hailey Wehner
Major: Physician Assistant 
Academic Year: Freshman
Hometown: Cranberry twp, PA (near Pittsburgh)

Favorite Quote/Quote you live by: "Let all that you do be done in love" -1 Corinthians 16:14

Why are you excited to go to Guatemala?
I have a passion for travel and a love for community service. Also, I am very interested in Spanish language and culture. I am so excited to serve in a new place meeting new people while making many new friends along the way!



Gabriela Palombo
Major: Physician Assistant
Year: Freshman
Hometown: Butler, PA

Favorite Quote/Quote you live by:
“Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile.” -unknown

Why are you excited to go to Guatemala?
I am most excited to go to Guatemala to experience a new new culture and help the people of San Lucas Tomalin in as many ways as possible!

Cecilia Izydorczak
Major: Physician Assistant 
Academic Year:  Freshman.
Hometown: Orchard Park, New York.

Favorite quote : From my mother...It is, “it builds character.”  It reminds me that even though negative things will inevitably occur, I can always learn from them.  By learning, I can grow as a person.

Why are you excited to go to Guatemala?
I’m excited to be going to Guatemala because I love learn experiencing new cultures.  Traveling allows me to see little pockets of the world and it teaches me to embrace different ways of life. 

Erin Petosky
Major: Biomedical / Mechanical Engineering
Academic year: Junior
Hometown: Ridgway, PA

Favorite quote/ Quote that you want to live by:
"The 3 C's in life: Choice, chance, change. You must make the choice, to take the chance, if you want anything in life to change."

Why you are excited about going to Guatemala?
I'm very excited to experience the culture! I've never been to Middle America so I can't wait to see how people live and to help improve their lives through service.



1 comment:

  1. Have a great time ladies, make a difference in someone's life and let someone make a difference in your lives while you are there. God Bless and safe travels.

    ReplyDelete