Friday, March 3, 2017

Abrirse El Corazon

Queridos Amigos,

I am grateful to Shelby and Brandon for the opportunity to contribute to this blog.  Not being a member of either group, I had the privilege of spending the spring break getting out of the office and tagging along with the Guatemala groups.  To all of you who have been supporting your daughters and sons, your relatives and friends, our students, you have every right to be proud of them.  They came to San Lucas Toliman and allowed their eyes, ears, and, most of all, their hearts to be opened.  It was my privilege to be with them and to witness their generosity and faithfulness.

So many memorable moments and encounters but let me share two:

--On Ash Wednesday, Shelby and her team came with me to Mass in the community of Xejuyu.  That evening, they invited me to lead the evening reflection.  There was so much gratitude in them for the warm welcome we all received from the community.  What was also moving for me was their care for each other.  They all had each other's backs.  I already posted this photo from Xejuyu but here it is again. 

 


--Yesterday morning was the school Mass in San Lucas.  Our team leader Brandon, who is also a seminarian of the Diocese of Erie, assisted me.  After Mass, we were outside to greet the children as they were returning to school for their lessons.  The school children wildly and warmly greeted us with such joy and abandon that was moving.

Here is Brandon with a few new friends who wanted a picture with him:

 
 
 
I was well-assisted every day for Mass by some incredibly talented, efficient and faithful altar servers and sacristans.  Here is a pose with Carlos, Rodolfo and Pablo in the sacristy after Mass yesterday.  Gracias, amigos!  Que Dios bendiga a Ustedes!

 
 
 
Shelby and Brandon, you both outdid yourselves in leadership, generosity and sacrifice.  Know that you are both held with great appreciation and affection.  Fellow ABST travellers in both teams, thank you for letting me share this blessed week with you.  Know of my pride and encouragement.  May God bless you all.
 
 
Fr. Michael Kesicki
 

No comments:

Post a Comment